As a JSA employee, you may from time to time incur expenses that are wholly, exclusively and necessarily incurred in the course of your duties of employment. In such cases, you may be entitled to claim tax relief on the cost you have incurred.

Some expenses, like mileage to a temporary workplace, you are able to claim through the JSA payroll, and others will need to be claimed at the end of the year. Irrespective of the type of expense, all expenses should be claimed using JSA’s online portal or expense claim form.

What is a Temporary Workplace?

All travelling and subsistence costs must be incurred on travel to or from a temporary workplace.

A temporary workplace is somewhere you go to perform a task of limited duration or for a temporary purpose.

If you are likely to spend more than 40% of your working time at a site and you will be at the site for more than 24 months, it cannot be temporary workplace. Also, if the site you are working at is the only site you are likely to be working at for the same end client during your engagement (e.g. you are not moving between sites and you are not likely to move to another site for the same end client when this one finishes), you cannot claim.

If you are in doubt about whether your site is a temporary workplace, contact us.